• Wastewater was computationally examined as a matrix for detection of SARS-CoV-2.
• One infected individual theoretically is detectable among 100 to 2,000,000 persons.
• Temperature and in-sewer travel time severely impact virus detectability.
• 2.1 billion people could be monitored globally in 105,600 sewage treatment plants.
• Combined use of WBE followed by clinical testing could save billions of US dollars.Computational analysis of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 surveillance by wastewater-based epidemiology locally and globally: Feasibility, economy, opportunities and challenges – ScienceDirect